Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Main Event

Sean O'Grady and Al Albert ringside.
From 1982 to 1997, the USA Network on cable television broadcasted a sports series called “USA Tuesday Night Fights.” Hosted by Al Albert and former lightweight champion Sean O’Grady, it was a weekly program that featured up-and-coming amateur boxers. My Dad would watch these matches and one night he called out to me, “Come watch this fight.”
 

Ingrid Bergman teaching boxing from a manual...
Now, I had never watched a boxing match in my life, and I knew nothing more than seeing Ingrid Bergman shuffling her feet in the 1945 movie, The Bells of St. Mary. In the film, Bergman portrays “Sister Benedict”, a strong-willed nun who matches wits with Bing Crosby’s laid-back character “Father O’Malley”. Set in a Catholic school, both have different ideas regarding how to administer to the students. While Sr. Benedict does not condone fighting, in one scene she takes it upon herself to teach one of the schoolboys how to defend himself against the schoolyard bully. “Keep your hands up,” “Guard your chin,” and “Keep your feet moving” are some of the tips she gives the boy as she bobs and weaves in her religious habit. 

I had no idea why my Dad wanted me to watch boxing on television, but I was never one to turn down any amount of “Daddy-Daughter” Time. It’s not what you do, but whom you are doing it with that matters most. And if my Dad wanted to watch two guys pummel each other silly with me, well then all right, I was there whole-heartedly.


“Watch this kid fight,” Dad said as I sat down on the floor in front of the television. The “kid” he was referring to was Anthony Boyle, a young boxer from Philadelphia. His opponent was a fellow pugilist with whom he grew up and trained alongside. Then Dad added, “He’s fighting his against his best friend.” 


WAIT. What now? I could not imagine punching my best friend in the face for any reason! I drew a deep breath and thought, ‘Okay, this’ll be over in like, what—ten maybe 15 minutes tops?’ and I could get back to my regularly scheduled college-life activity.


The match was, by far, the BEST boxing I had ever watched. It was clear these two athletes put everything they had into that bout. Even to a spectator with an untrained eye like mine, it was obvious that the match was more of a display of skill and a game of strategy. How to avoid being hurt by what your skillful opponent is throwing at you. Friends or not, the competitors were relentless. 


It was back-and-forth, non-stop action. I could hear Sister Benedict’s voice “keep moving, guard your chin” as I watched both men: one trying to land a clean punch to earn judges’ points, the other anticipating the moves and countering with a block or combination of his own punches. 


As I sat on the floor in front of the television, my body twitched left, then right, involuntarily reacting to the action on the screen. Quiet bursts of “uh!” and “er!” inexplicably emitted from my throat. From behind me, I could hear my Dad softly chuckling as he watched my response to the fight with mild amusement. 


At the conclusion of the fight, the most amazing thing happened. In my mind’s eye, I can still see the post-match turmoil in the middle of the boxing ring and the two fierce competitors breathlessly embraced. Their “game faces” gone, their body language completely relaxed. They appeared to be just a couple of “buddies”. 


Looking back at Dad, I began asking questions about the sport. He patiently answered each one. It was a lesson in control and discipline. Dad had a sort of “I-told-you-so” smile on his face because he knew I was hooked. We enjoyed watching the fights together every Tuesday night from then on. 


Anthony Boyle had a winning career with 26 bouts in the W column (with 12 KO), only 6 Losses and 1 Draw.  Mr. Boyle is still active with the Pennsylvania Golden Gloves Boxing organization were he got his own start in the sport. In an email correspondence, he told me there have been so many fights, it is hard to recall the details to all of them. 


Father's Day a long time ago: my brother, Dad, and me.
This is true for spectators as well. I did not recall the name of Boyle’s opponent in that bout. I don’t remember how long it lasted. I don’t even remember which boxer won the match, although online resources would strongly suggest it was Boyle. 


There is one thing I will never forget about this Main Event: it provided a connection to Dad that I never would have imagined and one that I will always cherish.

Inspired by Father's Day.

2 comments:

  1. Great story of your "Dad Connection." Brings back some great memories for me, too, like how my dad and I loved watching Sherlock Holmes movies together. Love the photo...your dad was a tall thin drink of water, as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how seemingly insignificant things such as watching TV with someone can become a strong memory. Someday, I'll share with you the time my Dad and I once played "Hi Bob." -CM

    ReplyDelete