Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Martin's Message: A Little Bit Like Frodo


Gandalf and Frodo in the Mines of Moria.

There is much emotion over the events that played out in Massachusetts, beginning with the Boston Marathon bombings and culminating in the manhunt for the alleged suspects, resulting in the death of one and the capture of the other. The angry knee-jerk reaction is that the treacherous and traitorous culprits deserve the fate of Benedict Arnold and Timothy McVeigh.

As the suspects were identified, more information was learned about who they were. Friends and neighbors were in disbelief that they could have been involved in what they were accused. Many described 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as a “normal teenager.” Which begged the question: What does “normal” mean?

I consider my two nephews—ages 18 and 15—to be “normal” teenagers. Its frightening to think that something so terrible could happen to either one of them that would completely transform their personalities. The thought was so overwhelming, that suddenly, amidst prayers for those who were killed and injured, mourning and searching, I found myself praying for the perpetrator, too.

I prayed that he would be found alive. I prayed for the law enforcement teams to have mercy on him when apprehending him. I prayed that the young man would survive. And I continue to pray that he will be given enough time to reflect on what he’s done, and that his heart be softened to the point of remorse and repentance.

On the afternoon following the capture of the fugitive, I sat in a McDonald’s restaurant surrounded by numerous “normal” teens, enjoying their freedoms, sharing lunch and laughing with their friends. It was hard to imagine Dzhokhar ever laughing and smiling again in this life. Maybe he doesn’t deserve any joy. Still, as more information is revealed to the public, I wrestle with conflicting feelings of outraged justice and patient mercy. Are the two mutually exclusive of each other?

In the 2001 movie based on the J.R.R. Tolkien literary series, “Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings”, Frodo discovers the creature Gollum has been stalking the troupe through the Mines of Moria. Frodo mutters, “’Tis a pity that Bilbo did not kill him when he had the chance.” “Pity?” Gandalf the Grey Wizard responds with mild surprise. He then gently corrects Frodo by saying, “It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand.” Gandalf continued to explain:

“Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?

“Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

“My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before all this is over.

“The pity of Bilbo will rule the fate of many.”

Frodo sighs, “I wish none of this had ever happened.” To which the Grey Wizard replies: “So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given us.”

The scene concludes with Gandalf reassuring Frodo, “There are other forces at work in this world besides the will of evil.” The old Wizard goes on to say the events that happened were meant to be and that the role of the small, selfless hobbit is an encouraging thought.

Spoiler Alert: For those who have not read the books or seen the movies, in the end Gollum is destroyed, consumed by his own self-centered motivation, and that was for the best. But right to the end, through all the trials, Frodo kept faith that Gollum’s true self and good nature could be restored, otherwise Frodo held no hope for himself.

If this movie scene can be compared in any way to the senseless deeds of the Tsarnaev brothers, perhaps Tamerlan was meant to die in the firefight, just as Dzhokhar was meant to live. Perhaps there is some role this young man has yet to play in this chain of events.

My finite brain barely comprehends the immense heartbreak of loss and the hardship with which loved ones left behind must cope. Although Frodo weathered the storm, the experience changed him. However, rather than becoming vengeful and bloodthirsty, the experience strengthened his resolve to make his world a better place and increased his compassion for others.

Martin Richard: The Face of Hope

Then, amid the turmoil of our real world, there is forever in my mind the image of big beautiful eyes and the sweet smile of 8-year-old Martin Richard pictured holding his message of peace: “No more hurting people.” Having recently received First Holy Communion, Martin knew Jesus forgave those who hurt Him. As a civilized nation—and a good number of us Christians like Martin—should we not extend this mercy to everyone? 

The answer is not an easy one. To act with mercy is difficult. Because of all the hurt and anger out there, I wrestled with posting this entry and making public my feelings of pity for two severely "messed up" brothers. In no way do I condone or excuse what was done. Nonetheless, Gandalf's words echo in my head: “Do not be too hasty to deal out death and judgment.” As the events continue to play out, only time will tell what level of justice shall be delivered.  

We can wish none of this had ever happened, but all that's left is to decide what to do with the time given us. We must let go of anger and hold on to hope, and place the "good of all" ahead of our selves…just as Frodo did. From this point on, let us journey together to make our world the peace-filled place little Martin believed it could be.


Inspired by Martin Richard.


2 comments:

  1. A very insightful blog, Cheryl. I think your initial reaction mirrored the initial reaction of most of us.
    But I think you brought a more noble sentiment than most of us by saying you found yourself praying for the perpetrators. I don’t think many of the rest of us did that.
    I think we wanted him to be captured alive so we could try to figure out what convinced him to do the things he allegedly did. I don’t know that many of us prayed that he would ‘be given enough time to reflect on what he’s done, and that his heart be softened to the point of remorse and repentance.’ I don’t know if his heart will ever be softened.
    I know that I’m not the same person I was at 19. I have some different thoughts and feelings now than I did at 19. But I think my very core values, the ones that I had at 19, I still have.
    And if this young man has as his core values the destruction of things he doesn’t agree with, whether in the name of religion, politics, or whatever, I don’t know if those things will change.
    In any event, I’m fairly confident that he will not be among us for a very long time, if ever, to try to perpetrate on society again what he did before. And at this point, I think that's a good thing.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete