Saturday, April 13, 2013

The First Time


I remember my first time like it was yesterday.
I was still young and naïve, not yet jaded by the world. But if every negative thing seen on television and the news was to be believed, there seemed to be an edge of risk and a little bit of danger involved. That made me a hesitant to try something new. On the other hand, lots of people had done it and continued to do it without serious consequence. As the demographic for “First Timers” was getting younger and younger, I wondered what was I missing.
Then, one bright summer afternoon in 1997, an opportunity presented itself and with curiosity running high, I ventured into the unknown. The experience was exciting and experimental and it made for a memorable event.
It happened in the office during the lunch break while the boss was away. There was roughly an hour to fool around, so I figured, ‘why not?’ I’ll admit, it was a little awkward at first because I didn’t quite know what I was doing. But soon I got the feel for it, and it was a wonderfully magical moment.
I’m talking about the first time I logged onto the Internet, of course.
At the beginning of my career, the Internet as a business tool was not as widely used as it is today. Back then, the new fangled “http-colon-forward-slash-forward-slash-WWW-dot” string of characters was used only by a handful of businesses in print and television ads. Web addresses seemed so cryptic its almost laughable now.
What you'll see at MenWhoLookLikeKennyRogers.com
In the office where I was working at the time, only the boss’ computer had Internet access. While access to the World Wide Web and email for our small staff was still weeks away, the boss encouraged us to take time on our lunch break to "surf the net" on her computer.
So where did my colleagues and I go first on the web? As we gathered around the monitor on our boss’ desk, one coworker asked, “What should we look for?” I don’t remember from where I got the web address, but I suggested a fun site called: www.MenWhoLookLikeKennyRogers.com. On this site, viewers could submit photos of men they knew—or just random strangers—who looked like the legendary singer and recent Country Music Hall of Fame inductee Kenny Rogers.
Mom & "Kinda Kenny" Marty Edwards.
You’d be surprised how many men actually sport the “Gambler” look: white hair, neatly trimmed beard and moustache, button down shirt with a black leather vest and jeans. The website features over 1,000 photos of men from all over the country, Tips on How to Look Like Kenny, the “Kenny Hall of Fame” and my personal favorite “Kenny of the Year.” Once you view this website, you’re going to enjoy conducting your own “Kenny Sightings.” And although the website is still active and updated, the owners are no longer accepting photos.
While we are on the subject of Internet “Firsts,” I will never forget the first email I sent in September of that same year. The online experience was more of a serious nature.
News broadcasts contained numerous reports in which two young boys had lost their mother in a horrible car crash. Among the reports was a bit item about an email address that had been established for mourners to send their condolences to the family. I thought that was such a lovely idea.
On my lunch hour that day, I composed a brief letter of sympathy to the two boys. Naturally, my coworkers were curious and inquired to whom I was writing. After explaining my heartfelt intentions, I asked if they cared to include their names to the sentiment. After adding each name, the “Send” button was clicked.
There was an outpouring of grief from people all over the world when the Princess Diana died. I can only imagine my email to Buckingham Palace was one of many sent to her sons, Prince William and Prince Harry. I don’t know if any of the emails that were received had actually been read by them, or if they were comforted by the messages they contained. I hope so. For me there was a silent comfort from a digital message that traveled to the other side of the planet and converged in one place with so many others.
Fast forward to this year. It is another exciting “Year of Firsts” for me, including my first Tweet on Twitter: Psalm 19:15. "May the words of my mouth, the thoughts of my heart, win favor in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." This same Scripture passage was also included in my first blog posting.
I occasionally enjoy frivolous activity on the Internet, but there is more satisfaction making meaningful connections with other people, whether is it business or personal. The first of many millions of electronic messages I have sent over the years—and will send in years to come—was something profoundly human. With each new technological advancement of electronic communications, I will always look back fondly at the “first time”.

Inspired by my “First Time.”

DO YOU REMEMBER the first email you sent or received, the first website you visited, or your first Tweet? Leave a comment below and share your memories about your first time!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you remember your first time on the internet/sending an e-mail in such detail! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like a "Rite of Passage"...moving into the future. Interestingly, I don't recall the first email I RECEIVED, who it came from or what its contents were. It was probably something to do with business...so maybe not as memorable! -CM

      Delete